Saturday, November 20, 2010

Listen to the Radio


Annoying everyone on the bus with the Spice Girls,
I am sure.

"I smell the Pontchartrain
I hear Silver Wings
then away Merle Haggard flies
That good ole boy will find a Band of Gold on the stereo
Hey, then my Mama's gonna call and say,"Where's she gone?"
He'll say ,"Down the road with the radio on."
-Nanci Griffith
"Listen to the Radio"

It's 12:36 a.m. and I'm up doing a blog that I really have no motivation to write.  I could make a list of all the things that's keeping me busy lately but there's no point of boring everyone with the luv-er-ly details.  I've noticed recently how easily it is to get caught up with the chaos of life that one forgets to slow down and actually live.  Let me rephrase: when is the last time you took a moment to take in a sunset, to sit outside on the porch and read a book, or enjoy a lazy Sunday afternoon cruise? 

Lately I've done a little too much worrying and not enough trusting; too much singing and not enough listening.  Sometimes the only thing that gets me through my 9:30 a.m. - 7:15 p.m. school day is the knowledge that once I get to my car I can plug in my iPod and release my frustrations by singing my guts out during the thirty minute ride home. (Side note: you've never experience strange looks until you're sitting at a red light with the windows down as Johnny Cash or Conway Twitty blasts from your car.)  Maybe it's the fact that my brain is slowly succumbing to sleep as I sit and type this, but I'm going to be philosophical for a second.  Even with the wide array of tunes I have, I know the words so well that I don't even soak in the lyrics anymore, I just sing without thinking.  Isn't this kind of how life goes for us most of the time?  We learn our routine and we go through the motions without ever taking time to listen and enjoy the things around us.  Turn the radio up, turn your voices down, listen to the words and you just might pick up on things you never knew existed, even in the songs you know by heart.


I'd never get anything done if I lived in Nashville, I'd be
attending music-related things always.

Maybe none of this makes any sense.
Oh well.
So sue me.
It's two in the morning.

There were so many other things I wanted to write about tonight but I couldn't get inspired enough to even do any of them justice and I try to never just half do something where my writing is concerned.  Finals are rolling around and I'm getting busier and stressed.  However, when I feel that I am having a bad day or getting down on myself I try to make a list of three things (here we go again with my OCD list making) that could be worse than whatever is happening.  Here goes, three things that are worse than finals:
1.) Being forced to listen to Taylor Swift non-stop for an entire day.
2.) A continuous loop of Sugarland's "Stuck Like Glue".
3.) Death.

It's way past bedtime. I think I'll load up some radio on my computer and listen to the Ernest Tubb Midnite Jamboree, the second longest running radio program in history.  It can still be heard every Saturday night on Nashville's very own WSM.  Oh, what a tradition. :)

--Kellie



No comments:

Post a Comment